Backup Only

This Week's Walks - Archive

Please see the Saturday Walker's Club This Week's Walks page.

This is an archive of walks done by the Saturday Walker's Club. You should only need to use this page if the SWC website is down.

Blog Archive

Saturday, 31 October 2015

Saturday Third Walk – through Britain's maritime history

Extra Walk 215 – Blackheath to Canary Wharf
Length: 12 km (7.5 miles). Toughness: 1/10

10:24 Slade Green train from Cannon Street (London Bridge 10:28, New Cross 10:33), arriving Blackheath at 10:41. There are other services to Blackheath from Charing Cross and Victoria (both departing at 10:09) arriving 5-10 minutes earlier, if either of those are more convenient.

Blackheath is in TfL Zone 3 and Canary Wharf (Jubilee Line and DLR) is in Zone 2.

This urban walk had an inauspicious début 18 months ago, when gloomy weather and unfounded rumours of train cancellations put off all but a couple of locals. It's basically an extension of one of the club's summer evening walks in Greenwich Park, with bits tacked on at each end. The advantage of doing it in daylight hours is that you can break off to visit some of the many (free) attractions in the Greenwich World Heritage Site: see the walk document for details. Or you can simply clock off the miles and get back in time to watch the rugby (or put in half a day's overtime at your Docklands office).

There are many possible lunch places in Greenwich but the midweek evening walkers traditionally opt for the Plume of Feathers, just outside one of the park's gates. If you do the final section along the Thames Path you'll find plenty of choice in Canary Wharf too.

You'll need to print the walk directions (with maps) from the Extra Walk 215 page.

1 comment:

Sean said...

On a w=sunny day n=7 walkers enjoyed the autumn colours without venturing too far from the Greenwich Meridian. Watches were synchronised with GMT when the time ball fell at 1pm. It wasn't quite warm enough to have lunch outdoors at the Plume of Feathers but we did anyway (one in T-shirt, the others shivering in multiple layers of clothing). With plenty of little detours for sightseeing we didn't get to Canary Wharf until about 4.30pm, where at least one enjoyed the second half of the rugby.